Monday 16 January 2012

The Weatherman said WHAT?!?!?!

Since the SO and I have moved up north, we have been fairly fortunate in not experiencing the 'true north winter' temperatures we were dreading.  Sadly, our good luck has worn out and we are now in the middle of a week long cold snap going down to -40.

...

Yup, you read that right, -40. 

Doesn't matter if it's farenheit or celsius.  Now, I've gone out in some cold weather on the east coast, but there is nothing quite like taking your first breath of air outside and feeling all the hairs in your nose freeze and fuse together at the same time.  Along with that lovely sensation comes the tearing eyes because (of course!) it's windy.  This leads to frozen tears on your face.  So, after being outside for a total of, let's say, 100 seconds, you have:

a) Frozen nostrils which results in..
b) Trouble breathing
c) Teary eyes
d) Bleary vision
and the all important
e) Ice frozen to your face

Of course with these temperatures in mind, thoughts running through my mind are: "Does Celt have water, is she going to be warm enough, what if the other horses run her out of the shelter, what if..."

When I read these stories of -10, I am green with envy!  Luckily, this cold snap should be warming up come next week, so we should be back on track for riding then.

Oh!  In other news, we are now the official owners of a brand new (to us) Dodge Ram.  Now to find something to tow behind it...

I will hopefully have some more horse-related musings next time since we are hoping to get to the arena as long as it's warm enough (please?!).    I hope everyone is having an alright winter and sticking it out wherever you may be!  Spring is just around the corner (I keep telling myself) and then we're off to the races.

Happy Trails!

1 comment:

  1. You just made my 30f and windy with snow on the way sound lovely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete