Monday 17 June 2013

Change of Plans!

Well, I've FINALLY had the chance to get back into the saddle after healing from injury and the weather cooperating.  We went with the BO to a poker rally on Saturday morning which was part of the Farmer's Day activities going on at the agriculture society grounds (where the indoor is).  It was a great ride, although I wasn't really planning on going with others as I wanted to test Koda and myself by going solo.  Still had a nice ride, Koda led for most of it except for when we got to some muskeg.  I'm pretty sure he's never seen muskeg before, so not a surprise that he stopped.  Instead of getting him over as I wanted, the BO took the lead from there.  Once Koda's herdmate stepped in, he was all for going forward, the turkey.  We didn't win the hand (only got a pair of fives), but had a good ride none the less. 

I cannot wait to get the trailer fixed since I want to hit those trails for conditioning and more exposure of being out and about!  I don't know why, but I would rather ride on those trails solo than out on the field roads.  Perhaps it may be because I grew up riding in wooded areas and not in the wide open spaces... Or it's simply because there are no major roads anywhere where major accidents can happen! 

Went for a ride yesterday and it was alright.  I didn't really go out with a plan in mind since I was running short on time, but wanted to fit a ride in anyway.  It was spitting rain, and couldn't ride in the front field since it was MUCH too slippery so decided to go on the back mini trail.  Things were going well, was playing around with some lateral work along the trail, walk/trot transitions, but EVERY time we went into the trot he would go into this daisy-cutter rhythm.  Of course, I've been trying to work on relaxation and chilling out, but this was not helping.  We had a few mini moments, so I decided we're just going to walk on a very soft rein while doing leg-yield zig zags for 5 minutes and call it a day. 

I'm trying to instill a stretch forward-down/relax by putting your head down cue with Koda since he is such a worry wart.  Every little thing in the woods deserves his utmost attention, and of course his brain goes with it.  After this ride I decided it wasn't worth going to the show at the end of the month, particularly since we're both out of shape (he's so ROUND!), so we're going to miss this one and go to the next one that is closer to us at the end of July. 

With Koda, I'm really discovering that he needs to be exposed more and more to anything and everything as we work on our relationship together.  It's becoming clearer that he really hasn't done much except be a pleasure horse for his previous owners, so he's somewhat like a greenbean but in a mature body. 

Man, I wish I could get a coach up here consistently!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good ride :)

    I don't know where I would be w/o my trainer! Hope you can find a coach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are really no coaches up here at all for any of the english disciplines. The closest one I could get to is about 3.5 hrs away! Need to figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out here: http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-bloody-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly! Will check it out and post it :)

      Delete
  4. Hey there, I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Here is the link: http://mylifeonhorses.blogspot.com/2013/06/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmi! Will check it out and see about doing a double with Carly's nomination :)

      Delete